Red Chasm is a first person puzzle platformer set in the ruins of an alien civilization on Mars. Explore the Martian Black Zone in a race against time against the military and your own sanity.
This game was developed with the Minionworks team for the Edge Create Challenge in 2012. Though we didn't end up winning, we did get featured in the "best of the rest," and general reviews seem positive. Red chasm can be played for free in your browser over at the Minionworks website, or downloaded for Windows and Mac from either the aforementioned Minionworks page or from its IndieDB page.
Karst is a video game that I am working on with some friends from UVic. We've put quite a bit of time into it so far. We are building most of it from the ground up, although we are also using Unity for some of the heavy lifting. Not a whole lot of pretty pictures yet, but keep an eye out.
This has been an incredible learning experience for all of us. Monetary profit would be nice but it is not being counted upon at this stage.
Dawn of War: Age of the Damned
Many moons ago, I made a mod for the original Dawn of War. Though the mod was never fully completed, it was the impetus that pushed me to get a degree in Computer Science. Though now completely outdated, documentation of its existence is still present online. If you are interested in taking a gander into my past, you can view it here.
I didn't have a lot of project-based courses during my degree (which is a shame, because that is a work environment I tend to excel at; I found most class assignments to be regurgitated knowledge-bites rather than something meaty enough to work with). Still, there are two projects that I feel are worth mentioning here.
Culling Improvements for a variable environment
CSC 471: Fundamentals of Computer Rendering
Programmed using C++, OpenGL, and Cinder
Our stated goal in this project was to develop a polygon culling technique that functioned equally as well in an outdoor environment as an indoor environment. We didn't end up succeeding at this task, but we weren't meant to, primarily because at the time I took the class a solution had not been discovered. We did, however, successfully implement a few classic culling techniques (such as frustum and octrees) with some fairly bleeding edge improvements (specifically, using pseudo-random numbers to speed up the octree parsing, allowing it to be a fairly static time regardless of the complexity of the tree itself).
Fully Featured Social Media Site
CSC 370: Database Systems
Programmed using PostgreSQL, JSP, and HTML
This project is pretty much what it says on the tin. A fully featured social media site (a la Facebook and Twitter) featuring account creation, friends, groups, posting statuses, searches, session management, the whole nine yards. It wasn't pretty (this was a class for programmers, not artists, after all), but it worked. This project provided the basis for designing this website (especially the simple-but-effective blogging setup I included in the design).
CSC 305: Introduction to Computer Graphics
Programmed using C++ and Qt
Again, this one is fairly self explanatory. This was a scratch-coded Ray Tracer (with a bit of help from Qt for image file IO). It made pretty pre-rendered pictures. Like this one: